Devon Chamber Awards
As George Cowcher our CEO recently announced, the Devon Chamber of Commerce Business Awards have been postponed from 2017 to early in 2018.
We’d like to tell you more here about the reasons we have made this change, because we’ve big plans to realign our awards with the British Chamber of Commerce (BCC) Business Awards. .
British Chamber of Commerce (BCC) Business Awards are at the very pinnacle of business awards, recognising business categories across the whole of the UK. Their ceremony takes place in November with entries being submitted for consideration between April and June. Thus organising our awards in September either missed the deadline for 2017’s BCC awards or was far too early for 2018.
So, we thought that it made sense for the announcement of the Devon Chamber of Commerce Business Awards to dovetail with the BCC timeline. Thus, following a judging period by independent business leaders, we will announce the winners and runners-up on 30 March 2018
As we organise these realigned Awards, we have four key intentions in mind:
- To celebrate extraordinary business
- To recognise the very best businesses through the Awards
- To showcase businesses in Devon
- To provide recognised businesses with the opportunity to enter the British Chamber of Commerce Business Awards.
We will be aligning our award categories with those of BCC’s, to allow a smooth transition of business entries and increase the chances of Devon businesses being adjudged worthy of a BCC Award and recognition!
As there are many physical awards ceremonies throughout the Year, it has been decided that, as well as changing the dates of the Awards, we will also change some of the format. The changes include different categories and entry forms that are aligned to the BCC, a longer application period and everything will be done on line.
Staying the same is that applications will be self-nominated and there will an independent judging panel for each category.
Our new categories will be Small Business of the Year, Export Business of the Year, Best Use of Technology, High Growth Business of the Year, Commitment to People Development, Education and Business Partnership, Excellence in Customer Service, Health and Wellbeing and Best Use of Social Media.
The timetable is as follows:
- Applications deadline is 16 February 2018;
- Judging Panel will sit and decide so that results are announced on 30 March 2018;
- Winners application forms will be forwarded to BCC for 27 April 2018.
Devon Chamber of Commerce Awards 2018 categories include:
- Small Business of the Year
- Commitment to People Development
- Best use of Social Media
- Best use of Technology
- Education and Business Partnership
- Health and Wellbeing
- Excellence in Customer Service
- Export Business of the Year
- High Growth Business of the Year
As the accredited Chamber of Commerce for Devon, winners of the 2018 awards and potentially those that were shortlisted will be invited to enter the British Chamber of Commerce awards, providing the opportunity to be recognised on a national level.